This is a joint program among the three Harvard Medical School's major teaching hospitals: Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), the Brigham and Women's Hospital (BWH) and the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC). All three hospitals, through their long history, are committed to the mission of the highest quality patient care and service, teaching the next generation of caregivers, and cutting-edge research and discovery.
Since 1811, MGH has been committed to delivering standard-setting medical care. Throughout the decades, the hospital has had a consistent commitment to advancing that care through pioneering research and educating future health care professionals.
BWH was formed in 1980 with the merger of three of Boston's oldest teaching hospitals: the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, the Robert Bent Brigham Hospital, and the Boston Hospital for Women. Today it has 777-bed located in the heart of Boston's renowned Longwood Medical Area, providing the highest quality health care to patients and their families, to expanding the boundaries of medicine through research, and to educating the next generation of health care professionals.
BIDMC was formed with the merger of Deaconess Hospital (founded in 1896) and the Beth Israel Hospital (founded in 1916). Today it remains a world-class research institution where outstanding scientists work to develop new knowledge for the betterment of the health of our local and extended communities.
The program is carried out in the departments of Radiation Oncology of the three hospitals.
The Department at MGH has three main facilities, the Lunder building, where there are currently six linear accelerators, the Cox building where the CT and HDR units are located and the Burr Proton Center, where the proton cyclotron is located. A dedicated IORT electron linear accelerator is located in the Blake building in the OR suite.
The Department at BWH consists of the Radiation Oncology department of BWH as well as the other two hospitals in the Longwood area: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, and Children's Hospital. The department maintains seven linear accelerators, a TBI system and a dedicated image-guided brachytherapy suite.